Sesame seeds are tiny, oil-rich seeds that grow in pods on the Sesamum indicum plant.
Unhulled seeds have the outer, edible husk intact, while hulled seeds come without the husk.
The hull gives the seeds a golden-brown hue. Hulled seeds have an off-white color but turn brown when roasted.
Sesame seeds have many potential health benefits and have been used in folk medicine for thousands of years. They may protect against heart disease, diabetes, and arthritis (1Trusted Source).
However, you may need to eat significant amounts — a small handful per day — to gain health benefits.
Here are 15 health benefits of sesame seeds.
1. Good Source of Fiber
2. May Lower Cholesterol and Triglycerides
3. Nutritious Source of Plant Protein
4. May Help Lower Blood Pressure
5. May Support Healthy Bones
6. May Reduce Inflammation
7. Good Source of B Vitamins
8. May Aid Blood Cell Formation
9. May Aid Blood Sugar Control
10. Rich in Antioxidants
11. May Support Your Immune System
12. May Soothe Arthritic Knee Pain
13. May Support Thyroid Health
14. May Aid Hormone Balance During Menopause
15. Easy to Add to Your Diet